What are the disadvantages of facial massage? Is it safe or harmful?
Facial massages are great for relaxation, stress relief, and even improving skin health. However, many people don’t realize how harmful facial massages can be.
I’ve seen firsthand how dangerous these treatments can be, and I want to warn you from making the same mistake. Don’t just blindly trust any spa or salon that offers facials; ask questions and do your research first.
What Is Facial Massage
A facial massage is a type of manual therapy that involves kneading specific areas on your faces such as your forehead, cheeks, neck, jawline, temples, ears, eyes, nose, lips, chin, chest, back, shoulders, arms, hands, feet, legs, and even scalp. It’s also commonly referred to as “deep tissue” massage because it focuses on deeper layers of muscles than standard massage techniques.
13 Disadvantages Of Facial Massage
There are multiple reasons why you might want to avoid facial massages. Here are some of them:
Some people have an allergy to certain types of oils that are used during a facial massage. These oils or other items used during the facial massage may cause an allergy to your skin. YOu should check out oils used during the facial massage and contact your doctor if you think massage oil can cause allergies to your skin.
If you suffer from chronic pain, facial massages may aggravate the condition. This is especially true if you have arthritis or fibromyalgia.
You may experience irritation at the site where you receive a facial massage. Some people find that the area becomes red and tender after receiving a facial massage. And the face is a very important part of your body that people see to judge your personality. So it can be very dangerous in this situation.
Sometimes massage therapist does not properly clean facial massage oils and or hands. You may get infected by bacteria present in the oil used for a facial massage.
5) Skin Damage
The repeated rubbing of skin over a prolonged period of time may cause damage to the skin.
6) Other Risks
Other risks include swelling, bruising, bleeding, numbness, tingling, stiffness, soreness, burning sensation, and discomfort.
7) Muscle Strain
A facial massage can also lead to muscle strain. If you’re prone to headaches, facial massages could worsen existing conditions. Massaging the face can also increase blood flow to the head, causing dizziness or lightheadedness.
8) Acne Breakouts
Facial massages can also lead to acne breakouts. Massaging the face stimulates oil glands, which increases oil production. Excess oils can clog pores and cause pimples.
9) May Damage Skin
A facial massage uses lotions, oils, and creams that contain ingredients like lanolin, mineral oil, and alcohol. These substances can irritate sensitive skin. Use caution when applying products to your face.
Facial massages aren’t cheap! They usually cost between $50-$100 per session. For a good facial massage, you have to pay a good amount of money.
11) May Be Uncomfortable
Some people find facial massages uncomfortable. If you’re not used to having someone rub their hands all over your face, start slowly. Start by gently rubbing your neck and shoulders. Gradually work your way down to your arms and legs. Don’t forget to include your scalp.
12) Doesn’t Work For Everyone
Not everyone responds positively to facial massages. If you experience headaches or soreness after a facial massage, discontinue use.
13) May Hurt
When you massage certain parts of the body, such as the back, you need to be careful. People with weak muscles may feel discomfort when receiving massages on their backs.
Benefits Of Facial Massage
Although facial massages are generally considered to be unsafe, there are several benefits to getting one. Here are some of the important ones:
1) Relaxes Muscles
A facial massage helps to release tension and stress. It can help you unwind and feel more relaxed.
2) Improves Blood Flow
Massaging the face improves circulation and reduces fatigue.
3) Stimulates Nerves
Nerve endings are found throughout the face. A facial massage can stimulate nerves, which can make you feel more alert and awake.
4) Relieves Stress
Stress can affect your body physically and mentally. When you feel stressed out, your body produces chemicals called cortisol, adrenaline, and dopamine. These hormones can weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to illness. A facial massage can help relieve stress and lower levels of cortisol.
5) Helps Treat Headaches
Headaches are caused when pressure builds up inside the skull. A facial massage can relax tense muscles around the head, helping to relieve headache symptoms.
6) Promotes Sleep
When you sleep, your brain releases serotonin, which makes you feel happier. Serotonin levels decrease when you wake up.
7) Boosts Immunity
When you exercise, your body’s natural defenses are strengthened. The same thing happens when you get a facial massage. Your body’s natural defenses become stronger, making it less likely that you will catch colds.
8) Increases Circulation
Your blood flows through your body via arteries and veins. When you massage these areas, they expand and contract, increasing blood flow.
9) Reduces Anxiety
Anxiety can cause many problems including insomnia, depression, and heart disease. Massaging the face is a great way to reduce anxiety because it relieves stress and tension.
How Does Facial Massage Work?
There are two main theories about how facial massages work. One theory says that facial massages stimulate nerves and increase blood circulation. Another theory says that facial massaging stimulates lymphatic drainage.
Benefits Of Facial Massage For Men
Men who receive regular facial massages tend to feel more relaxed and confident. A study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology found that men who received a facial massage once every week had less anxiety and depression than those who didn’t receive one.
It’s important to note that facial massages aren’t just good for men. Women who receive regular facial massaging benefit too. Studies show that women who receive regular facial massages have lower levels of cortisol and higher levels of serotonin (a hormone that helps calm the nervous system).
Facial Massage Tips
- Keep your eyes closed during the massage. This will make it easier for your therapist to perform the procedure correctly.
- Try to avoid talking during the treatment. Talking can distract you and cause you to tense up.
- Don’t worry about having your hair tied back. You can keep it loose if you like.
- Relax completely and breathe deeply throughout the entire massage.
- Avoid touching your face during the massage. Your therapist may use his or her hands to apply pressure, but try not to touch your face yourself.
- Let your therapist know if you have any allergies before beginning the session.
- Make sure you tell your therapist if you have any medical conditions. He or she may need to adjust the treatments accordingly.
- When you finish the massage, let your therapist know how you liked it.
- After each treatment, rinse your face thoroughly with warm water.
Does Facial Massage Damage Skin
While facial massages do not usually cause permanent damage to the skin, there are some exceptions. For example, if you have acne scars, you should avoid getting a facial massage until your skin has healed completely. Also, if you have sensitive skin, you should only use gentle pressure when performing a facial massage.
Will Facial Massages Make My Skin Sag?
Facial massages won’t make your skin sag. However, if you have loose skin on your neck, arms, legs, or buttocks, you shouldn’t perform a facial massage. The reason why is that the repetitive movement of massaging these areas will stretch out the skin and make it look saggier.
Is Facial Massage Painful?
There are many different ways to perform a facial massage. Some methods involve using lotions, creams, and other products. Others require no special preparations. In general, most people describe facial massages as relaxing and enjoyable. If you’re concerned about pain during a facial massage, talk with your therapist before scheduling your appointment.
What Is The Best Way To Perform A Facial Massage?
There isn’t any single “best” way to perform facial massages. Instead, each person has his or her own preferences. Some people like to start their facial massage with a warm towel. Others prefer to begin with cold towels. Still, others prefer to apply moisturizer first.
Can I Perform A Facial Massage Myself?
Yes, you can perform a facial massage yourself. However, you should always consult with a licensed professional before doing so.
Are Facial Massages Effective?
Yes! Many studies show that facial massages can help reduce stress and improve mood. However, it’s important to keep in mind that facial massages aren’t a substitute for therapy. They’re meant to be used in addition to traditional therapies such as counseling, exercise, and medication.
How Often Should I Get A Facial Massage?
You should schedule a facial massage at least once per month. You may want to schedule a series of treatments instead. This will allow you to relax and rejuvenate throughout the year.
Can Face Massage Change Face Shape
No. Facial massages don’t affect the size or shape of your face. However, they can help soften wrinkles and remove dead cells from your face.
Do Facial Massages Work For Everyone?
Yes! Anyone can enjoy the benefits of facial massages. However, it’s important to remember that certain types of massages are better suited for certain individuals. For example, deep-tissue massages are ideal for older adults. Likewise, Swedish massages are great for anyone looking to unwind after a long day.
Is Daily Face Massage Good For Skin?
Daily face massages are beneficial for your skin. They can help prevent dryness caused by aging and sun exposure. They also help stimulate blood circulation which helps deliver nutrients to your skin.
Does Massaging Your Face Increase Collagen
Massaging your face doesn’t increase collagen production. However, it does help promote cell turnover which makes your skin more elastic. It also stimulates blood flow which increases oxygen levels in your body. These effects combined can lead to healthier-looking skin.
Why Do Women Love Facial Massages?
Women tend to enjoy facial massages more than men. Women typically feel more relaxed when receiving them. Additionally, they tend to find them to be a much more intimate experience.
How To Choose A Facial Masseuse
When choosing a facial masseuse, you’ll want to ask questions. Find someone who listens well and offers suggestions based on what you need. Ask if he or she uses oils, lotions, or creams. Also, look for someone who provides referrals.
Who Should Not Get A Facial
If you have open wounds, broken bones, or other injuries, you shouldn’t receive a facial massage. If you have an allergy to beeswax, you shouldn’t say yes either.
What Is The Best Facial Massage Oil?
The best facial massage oil depends on your needs. Look for one that contains aloe vera and vitamin E. This combination works to hydrate your skin while reducing redness and irritation.
What Is The Best Time For Facial Massage?
The best time for a facial massage varies depending on your age and personal preference. Younger people generally prefer morning massages because they’re less likely to fall asleep during the process. Older people usually prefer afternoon massages because they’re more comfortable with the idea of being touched.
Disadvantages of Facial Massage:
- Allergies: Some people might be allergic to oils or products used during a facial massage.
- Pain and Irritation: Individuals with chronic pain, arthritis, or fibromyalgia might experience worsened discomfort. Facial massages can also cause redness and tenderness.
- Infection: Poor hygiene practices by massage therapists could lead to bacterial infections.
- Skin Damage: Prolonged or aggressive rubbing can damage the skin over time.
- Other Risks: Swelling, bruising, bleeding, numbness, tingling, stiffness, soreness, burning sensation, and discomfort can occur.
- Muscle Strain: Facial massages can strain muscles, especially for those prone to headaches.
- Acne Breakouts: Increased oil production from massage can lead to acne.
- Sensitive Skin: Some massage products can irritate sensitive skin.
- Expense: Facial massages can be costly.
- Discomfort: Not everyone finds facial massages comfortable.
- Unsuitable for Everyone: Facial massages might not work for everyone, leading to headaches or soreness.
- May Hurt: People with weak muscles might experience discomfort during certain massages.
Benefits of Facial Massage:
- Muscle Relaxation: Facial massages release tension and stress, promoting relaxation.
- Improved Blood Flow: Enhanced circulation reduces fatigue.
- Nerve Stimulation: Facial massages stimulate nerves, increasing alertness.
- Stress Relief: Reduces stress hormones like cortisol and promotes a sense of well-being.
- Headache Treatment: Can alleviate tension around the head, helping with headaches.
- Sleep Promotion: Facilitates serotonin release for improved sleep quality.
- Immunity Boost: Enhances natural defenses, reducing susceptibility to illness.
- Circulation Increase: Expands and contracts blood vessels, boosting blood flow.
- Anxiety Reduction: Relieves stress and tension, aiding in anxiety management.
Considerations and Recommendations:
- Skin Health: While there’s potential for irritation, most people won’t experience permanent skin damage from facial massages.
- Sagging Skin: Facial massages themselves won’t cause sagging skin, but repetitive massaging in certain areas might stretch the skin.
- Self-Massage: It’s possible to perform facial massages on yourself, but consulting a professional is advisable.
- Frequency: Scheduling monthly facial massages can offer relaxation and rejuvenation benefits.
- Face Shape: Facial massages don’t change face shape, but they can improve skin condition.
- Safety: Individuals with open wounds, injuries, allergies, or specific medical conditions should avoid facial massages.
- Choosing a Masseuse: Look for someone who listens, uses suitable products, and provides referrals.
- Massage Oil: Aloe vera and vitamin E-containing oils are generally beneficial for facial massages.
- Timing: The best time for a facial massage varies based on personal preferences and comfort.
In conclusion, massaging your face does wonder for the appearance of your skin.
Of course, there are certain disadvantages to facial massage. For example, it’s not recommended for pregnant women or individuals who suffer from heart disease or high blood pressure. However, these risks are easily avoided by following basic safety guidelines like wearing gloves and avoiding direct contact with sensitive areas. In fact, facial massage has become such a common treatment modality that dermatologists often recommend it to their patients as part of a comprehensive skincare routine.
As far as we know, facial massage hasn’t caused any serious side effects. But if you suspect that you have a medical condition that requires additional attention, consult your doctor before trying any new treatments.
Whether you decide to go ahead with a facial massage depends on your personal preferences. However, there are several benefits associated with getting a facial massage. These include relaxation, self-confidence, improved mood, and better sleep quality.